BY TC News Desk
Agartala, August 28, 2023: A cow died after coming in contact with a live wire of a transformer at the District Magistrate (DM) office premises in Dharmanagar on Monday afternoon. The incident exposed the negligence and apathy of the authorities, who had left the transformer without any proper fencing or maintenance.
The transformer, which supplies power to both the DM and Sub-Divisional Magistrate offices, was surrounded by jungle and vines. The fence around it was broken and inadequate, allowing animals to enter and graze on the leaves. Around 1 PM, a cow wandered into the transformer area and touched the wire of the 12000 watt transformer. The cow was electrocuted instantly and fell to the ground with a loud scream.
The power department was informed about the incident and they immediately cut off the power supply, but it was too late to save the cow. The cow’s body was lying on the spot for a long time, attracting a crowd of people. The government employees of the two offices and the visitors also came to see the cow after hearing the news. They expressed their shock and anger over the incident and demanded action against the responsible officials.
The death of the cow in the DM office premises has raised questions about the safety and security of the people and animals in the area. The transformer poses a serious threat to anyone who comes near it, especially during the rainy season. The district administration should take immediate steps to repair and fence the transformer and prevent such accidents from happening again.