Agartala, 20th August 2026 : A delegation representing two organisations of surrendered militants, JARC and JAC, on Thursday submitted a memorandum to the Governor of Tripura Indrasena Reddy Nallu at Lok Bhavan, pressing for fulfilment of a nine-point charter of demands.
Speaking to the media, Joint Organisation Convenor Jiban Joy Reang said members of the groups had returned to normal civilian life in 1995 following an appeal by the state government. However, he alleged that several of their demands have remained unfulfilled for nearly three decades.
According to Reang, the memorandum was also submitted to the Chief Minister, the Minister of Tribal Welfare, the Chief Secretary and the Director General of Police, seeking government intervention to address their longstanding grievances.
The delegation said a meeting was held with officials of the Tribal Welfare Department in June following an invitation from the department, but no concrete solution to their problems could be reached.
The groups had subsequently announced a road blockade ahead of Independence Day to press their demands. However, following an appeal from the police administration not to disrupt National Highway traffic in the interest of the public, they withdrew the proposed blockade.
The representatives said they had also sought a meeting with Chief Minister Dr. Manik Saha. They claimed that although they were assured that the Chief Minister would meet them after Independence Day, no such meeting has taken place so far.
The development comes days after a group of surrendered militants blocked a road in Jirania on August 18, causing inconvenience to commuters. The blockade was later withdrawn following assurances from the state government.
Reang warned that if the government fails to address their demands at the earliest, the organisations would launch a larger movement in the coming days.


