Six people, including one child, have died and two others suffered burn injuries in a fire that broke out at a house in Delhi’s Shastri Park area on Friday morning, police said.
According to the police, it received a PCR call in Shastri Park Police Station regarding a fire incident at about 9 am, responding to the call, police rushed to the spot and found that the fire was in a house at Mazar Wala Road near fish market where nine persons were found injured and unconscious condition, they were taken to Jag Pravesh Chandra Hospital for treatment.
Six of them were declared dead in the hospital while two were under treatment and one injured was discharged after first aid treatment, said a Senior Delhi Police official.
The police suspect that the cause of death was suffocation. In the preliminary investigation, it is suspected that the burning mosquito coil had fallen on a mattress sometime during the night which produced toxic fumes around the floor and the toxic fumes caused inmates to lose consciousness and later death due to suffocation, claimed Delhi Police.
The further investigation is underway, said police.