Fire broke out in the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur, campus in the early hours of Sunday, destroying bedding and other items kept by the students in a hostel common room.
There were no reports of any casualty or injury, IIT sources said.
The fire was first noticed at around 3 AM, as thick smoke was seen billowing out from the Lal Bahadur Shastri (LBS) Hall – one of the hostels on the campus.
Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot, and the fire was controlled within an hour.
Fire brigade sources said a short circuit in the hostel common room could have caused the fire.
With regular classes not being held presently because of the summer recess, only a few students are staying on the campus now.
However, the fire devoured the belongings of students, who had gone to their respective hometowns, kept in the LBS common room.
“It was a minor fire, It was controlled and doused quickly,” an IIT source said.