27.2 C
Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Fire breaks out in IIT, Kharagpur campus : Sources


 Fire broke out in the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur, campus in the early hours of Sunday, destroying bedding and other items kept by the students in a hostel common room.

There were no reports of any casualty or injury, IIT sources said.

The fire was first noticed at around 3 AM, as thick smoke was seen billowing out from the Lal Bahadur Shastri (LBS) Hall – one of the hostels on the campus.

Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot, and the fire was controlled within an hour.

Fire brigade sources said a short circuit in the hostel common room could have caused the fire.

With regular classes not being held presently because of the summer recess, only a few students are staying on the campus now.

However, the fire devoured the belongings of students, who had gone to their respective hometowns, kept in the LBS common room.

“It was a minor fire, It was controlled and doused quickly,” an IIT source said.

Share post:




More like this

Illegal wood mills and generators seized in Bishalgarh Forest Department raid

BY TC News Desk Agartala, September 27, 2023: In a...

ICFAI University celebrated World Tourism Day

BY TC News Desk Agartala, September 27: Faculty of Management...

CM Manik Saha highlights state and central schemes for socio-economic upliftment of people

BY TC News Desk Agartala, September 27, 2023: Chief Minister...

Villagers blockade NH to protest poor conditions of road

BY TC News Desk Agartala, 27th September 2023:  In a...