5 killed in southern Peru fire

Date:

 At least five people, including three children, lost their lives in a large fire that broke out Monday night in a community in the southern Peruvian region of Arequipa, local authorities said Tuesday.

The fire started around 11:00 p.m. local time Monday (0400 GMT Tuesday) in the Carlos Portocarrero Dongo settlement in Secocha, Camana province. It was brought under control by early Tuesday morning, leaving at least 10 homes damaged and over 100 people homeless.

Jose Barrezueta, head of the Regional Emergency Operations Center of Arequipa, told the private broadcaster Radio Programas del Peru that five fatalities had been confirmed so far.

“Another person injured in the fire is being treated at a local hospital,” according to the National Emergency Operations Center.

According to La Republica newspaper, initial investigations indicate the fire was caused by a short circuit in a prefabricated house, triggering the explosion of domestic gas tanks, which intensified the blaze.

“The flames spread rapidly, consuming multiple homes and leaving families with no time to react,” the outlet reported.

Share post:

Subscribe

Adspot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Tradition and values must be preserved for future generations: CM

Agartala, 19th  August 2026 :   Chief Minister Prof. Dr....

Colombia quake death toll rises to 312

Bogota, Aug 19 (IANS) The death toll from the...

Pakistan: Govt to challenge SC order on Imran Khan’s transfer to hospital

Islamabad, Aug 19 (IANS) Pakistan's Minister for Law, Azam...

West African countries pledge stronger response to epidemics

Abidjan, Aug 19 (IANS) Experts from the Economic Community...