The death toll from a fire in a multi-storey building in South Africa’s Johannesburg has risen to 63, while 43 others have been injured, spokesman for Johannesburg Emergency Management Services Robert Mulaudzi said on Thursday.
Earlier in the day, the News24 portal reported that at least 20 people had been killed and 43 others injured in the fire that had engulfed a multi-storey building in South Africa’s largest city.
“Latest update 63 bodies recovered and 43 injured still continuing with search and recovery operation,” Mulaudzi said on X, formerly known as Twitter.
Mulaudzi told Sputnik earlier in the day that the fire had been stopped. He also said on X that firefighting and rescue teams were working at the scene.