Agartala, 20th August 2026 : Tension prevailed in Khedabari area of Sonamura subdivision on Thursday following allegations that chemically contaminated water discharged from an ONGC drilling project entered nearby agricultural fields and water bodies, damaging crops and causing the death of fish.
Demanding compensation for the alleged losses, affected farmers and fish farmers staged a protest and blocked the entrance gate of the ONGC project.
According to local farmers, chemical waste generated during drilling operations is stored in a tank within the project area. They alleged that following recent rainfall, the tank overflowed, allowing chemically contaminated water to flow into nearby agricultural land. The farmers claimed that the contamination damaged standing crops and affected the quality of the soil.
The contaminated water also allegedly entered nearby ponds and other water bodies, according to local fish farmers. They claimed that a large number of fish died after the water became polluted. Concerns have also been raised over whether the surviving fish are safe for human consumption.
Residents further alleged that a strong chemical- and kerosene-like smell could be detected in the water. They claimed that the pollution was also affecting fish and other aquatic life.
The affected farmers and fish farmers said they had repeatedly brought the matter to the attention of ONGC authorities, but alleged that no permanent solution was found. They eventually resorted to blocking the project gate to press for compensation and immediate action.
The protesters demanded a proper assessment of the damage caused to crops, agricultural land and water bodies and sought adequate compensation. They warned of a larger movement if the issue is not resolved at the earliest.
Farmers said agriculture is their primary source of livelihood and expressed concern over how they would support their families if their farmland remains affected by the alleged pollution.
The affected residents also claimed that the matter had been brought to the notice of the Sonamura subdivision administration. However, no official statement from ONGC was available on the allegations at the time of reporting.
The exact cause of the alleged contamination and the extent of the damage are expected to become clear following a detailed investigation and assessment.


