Kailashahar Residents Halt Drain Construction Over Alleged Poor Quality, Delays

Date:

Agartala, 23rd August 2026 : Work on an ongoing drain construction project in Kailashahar Municipal Council area was stopped by angry residents on Sunday, with allegations of poor-quality construction, irregularities and prolonged delays.

The project, being implemented under the Urban Development Department with funding from the Asian Development Bank, came under criticism after residents of Ward No. 8 stopped construction near the police station, alleging that the work was not being carried out according to the required standards.

Residents claimed that excavated soil, stones and other materials had been left along roadsides at several locations. Construction materials have also reportedly occupied significant portions of roads for extended periods, narrowing the carriageway, disrupting traffic movement and causing congestion.

Local residents further raised questions over the quality of materials being used in the drain construction and alleged that work at some locations was not being executed properly. They said several sections have remained incomplete for a long time, creating waterlogging risks during the monsoon and increasing the possibility of accidents.

Residents alleged that the matter had been brought to the attention of the concerned authorities on several occasions, but no effective action was taken. They said they were ultimately compelled to stop the work themselves to draw attention to their grievances.

Meanwhile, social worker Samir Purkayastha has also raised questions over the ongoing drain-cum-footpath construction across the municipal council area. He has reportedly submitted a written complaint to the Director of the Urban Development Department, seeking scrutiny of the project, fund allocation, agency responsible for the work and the quality of construction.

Residents have demanded an impartial inquiry into the allegations, quality testing of the construction work and appropriate action against those found responsible. They have also urged the authorities to ensure that the prescribed standards are maintained and that the project is completed at the earliest to reduce public inconvenience.

The concerned department and the construction agency have not yet issued their statements on the allegations.

Share post:

Subscribe

Adspot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Seven Tripura Cases Settled at Supreme Court Special Lok Adalat

Agartala, 23rd August 2026 : Seven cases from Tripura...

From Rehabilitation to Self-Reliance: CM distributes tool kits to Bru Youth

Agartala, 23rd August 2026 : Chief Minister Prof. (Dr.)...

LoP Slams Govt Over Employees’ Demands, Jobs and Rising Costs

Agartala, 23rd August 2026 : Leader of the Opposition...

IPFT Holds Rally in Agartala, Reiterates Demand for Separate State

Agartala, 23rd August 2026 : Ahead of the upcoming...