40 NEEPCO workers allege being barred from workplace, stage road blockade at Dhanpur

Date:

Agartala, 4th July 2026:   Around 40 contractual workers engaged at the North Eastern Electric Power Corporation (NEEPCO) project staged a road blockade on Saturday, alleging that they were prevented from entering their workplace by a group of people and subjected to verbal abuse and intimidation.

Speaking to reporters during the protest, one of the workers, identified as Montu Das, claimed that the workers were stopped from entering the project premises between 9 am and 10 am. He alleged that those preventing their entry questioned whether the workers belonged to the Dhanpur or Sonamura mandal and did not allow anyone from the Dhanpur side to enter.

According to the protesters, they were allegedly abused, pushed and threatened while attempting to report for duty. The workers said they were unaware of the reason behind the alleged restriction and claimed that no prior notice had been issued by the NEEPCO authorities regarding their entry into the workplace.

The agitating workers stated that they have been associated with the project for nearly 16 to 17 years in various capacities, including plumbers, cleaners, sweepers, forest cutters, office assistants and other support staff. They maintained that there had been no previous dispute between the two groups before Saturday’s incident.

The protesters clarified that the demonstration was organised solely by the workers and was not led by any local political organisation. They also said they had not yet discussed the matter with the local MLA.

The workers demanded that they be allowed to resume their duties without obstruction. They warned that if they continue to be denied access to work, they would intensify their agitation and resort to further road blockades.

No official statement had been issued by NEEPCO or the district administration regarding the allegations at the time of filing this report. The claims made by the protesters could not be independently verified.

Share post:

Subscribe

Adspot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

1st Test: Suthar, Prasidh star with ball as India sense victory in Galle

Galle (Sri Lanka), Aug 18 (IANS) Bowlers put up...

‘Exceptional performances, dedication’: AICF chief Narang hails Divya, Vidit on Arjuna Award

New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) All India Chess Federation...

‘If we push now, India can target 2032 Olympics in 3×3 basketball’: Govinda Sharma

New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) Indian basketball star Govinda...

Jr Women Hockey National: Chandigarh, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh and Manipur storm into quarters

Pune, Aug 18 (IANS) Teams from Chandigarh, Hockey Association...